That’s right. We still do not charge for attending DearMYRTLE WEBINARS, but you may PWYW.
Frankly, I don’t want to perpetuate the myth that genealogy should be a cost-free endeavor. We should expect to pay for professional services. And I want to play nice with other virtual speakers in the genealogy space.
Years ago, I toyed with the possibility of providing archived versions of my online classes for a fee, but I didn’t like the set up and high maintenance scenario including massive weekly snail mailings, refunds for downloads that didn’t work, etc. In short, I want to focus on substantive online genealogy education, not product fulfillment.
Someone has to pay the piper. It costs money to produce these webinars. I do not want to accept advertising. Every member of the community will realizes we can’t expect something for nothing.
- DearMYRTLE’s private, genealogy society virtual presentations will continue at the current rate, as these are custom-designed for each society in question.
- There will be no change in the format or location of DearMYRTLE’s calendared, live and archived public webinars.
- DearMYRTLE’s public virtual presentations will continue to be available free, with the following change:
- Provide blogger beads, writing contest prizes, and challenge awards without digging into our own pockets.
- Pay for the Zoom webinar service and room size.
- Share complimentary Amazon.com gift card with intensive study group panelists, as a small token of our appreciation.
- Continue to bring AmbushCAM short-subject interviews at the genealogy conferences we’re able to attend.
- Undertake professional development.
- Mondays with Myrt (genealogy open mic discussions)
- WACKY Wednesday (1 hour, 1 topic)
- study groups like AmericaGen
- The Archive Lady