As author of DearMYRTLE’s Genealogy Blog (old) and the DearMYRTLE Archive (new) site, I wish to disclose the following:
I am retired from actively growing my site but may elect to post items of interest from time to time.
EMAIL: Understandably, it is impossible to answer every email or blog comment. However, when Ol’ Myrt here notices trends, I may decide to use your email query as a lead-in for an upcoming blog post. For that reason, I advise my DearREADERS to use a “genealogy email” address and maintain anti-virus and anti-spam software to minimize issues. If you do not wish to have your email address included in the blog post, please so specify in your initial query. Your query may be slightly edited for length and/or clarity. Bear in mind, you will then have to follow the blog comments to find any responses which may prove useful to your research. Ol’ Myrt here is quite simply unable to pass information privately between researchers.
CONTENT and recommended links reflect my personal opinion. All links are valid at the time of publication. The sites I link to are not under my control. If their content changes after publication, I don’t expect to go back and change my blog postings, so use Google, or get creative and explore that external website for the information you seek. I also recommend the Internet Archives’ WayBack Machinne. I expect to make minor adjustments from time to time, but frankly, spending time with my grandchildren is much more important to me than fixing URLs for websites that capriciously change their links.
BLOG HONORS: As a genealogy blogger, I have been selected from time to time as a blog of honor for a specific conference. I clearly state so in my blog postings about a conference.FamilyHistoryExpos.com and RootsTech.org have provided free admission, and an occasional dinner in exchange for this honor.
ADVERTISING: DearMYRTLE does not accept advertising.
VERIFICATION: Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
COMPENSATION: The owner of this blog is sometimes compensated to provide opinions on products, services, websites and various other topics. I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely this bloggers’ own. The owner has received products, services, payments from the following:
- Amazon: I periodically use and clearly label affiliate links and advertising for Amazon on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to Amazon.
- AncestorSync: I have received a complimentary copy of AncestorSync no longer in production.
- Ancestry.com: I have attended various blogger day events which have included compensation for travel and meal expenses; I have attended various events at genealogy conferences (by invitation) which included free meals and free copies of Family Tree Maker software as well as logo ware (promotion items with the Ancestry.com logo).
- Association of Professional Genealogists – I ahave served as a chapter founding member and chapter president but am no longer a member of APG.
- BetterGEDCOM I participated as a co-founder and volunteer organizer at BetterGEDCOM. I received no income from this association. I funded the chat room, advanced wikispaces account, and usually hosted a developer meeting weekly using my personal GoToWebinar.com account. I elected to take emeritus status, and the group has morphed into FHISO.org.
- DropBox – My articles about Dropbox.com include a referral link and I have explained that an individual’s Dropbox space can be expanded up to 16GB of space as we refer friends.
- Fairfax Genealogical Society. I am a previous member of this society and support my husband’s interests with this organization.
- Family History Expos: I have been named a Blogger of Honor by Family History Expos and/or have presented as a speaker for various events including the Arizona, Utah and Georgia. In exchange, I receive complimentary registration, complimentary wi-fi access, complimentary banquet or event admission, as well as complimentary promotional gift items. However, I was not otherwise paid for my presentations or participation in the Blogger of Honor space in the exhibit hall.
- FamilySearch: I have attended various events at genealogy conferences (by invitation) which included transportation, accommodations, meals and free FamilySearch logo promotional items. In addition, I attended the Family Search Bloggers Day on October 21, 2010 and I was compensated for transportation, hotel accommodations and meals. And I have been designated a RootsTech Official Blogger for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, and official Ambassador in 2015-2018, which entitled me to free registration, free ethernet connection to the web, use of audio and video recording space during the conference when available. I am a member of the LDS Church, but do not consider this a conflict of interest.
- FamilyTreeWebinars.com: I have given a variety of webinars for this website and received a speaker’s honorarium. In addition there are monthly residuals based on the number of times these webinars were viewed after the live event.
- Federation of Genealogical Societies: As a 2011 FGS Conference Official Blogger, I received press credentials and free conference pass. All other expenses of travel, hotel and meals remain my personal responsibility.
- FindMyPast.com had given me complimentary access to its website from time to time. I currently have a paid access account.
- Footnote.com now called Fold3.com I occasionally use labeled affiliate links and advertising for Footnote on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to Fold3.
- Genealogical Publishing Company: I receive complimentary copies of books and other items for review. I keep the items for personal use or I will often donate them to local or regional libraries for their non-circulating genealogy departments, or to genealogical societies as door prizes.
- Genealogical Speakers Guild: I have been a member of GSG, but no longer travel to speak for local genealogy societies.
- GenealogyBank: I have used labeled affiliate links and advertising for GenealogyBank on this blog. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to GenealogyBank, but I pay for my membership access to this service.
- GeneaWebinars: I set up this .com website to point to the blog, created the Google calendar and invite all known webinar hosts and virtual presenters to have author rights to the blog and admin rights to the calendar. This effort has concluded, and I now recommend ConferenceKeeper.org
- Geni.com I have received a complimentary pro membership to Geni.com from time to time.
- DearMYRTLE Genealogy Community on Google+ is a discontinued service from Google. I did not receive any compensation from this.
- Legacy Family Tree: I have received complimentary copies of software and training materials. I also have produced several webinars for which I have been compensated via speaker’s fees and recording royalties.
- MyHeritage.com I previously received complimentary membership to MyHeritage.com, though now I have a free LDS account with this service.
- Pay What You Want – DearMYRTLE’s Hangouts on Air are provided free of charge, with the consideration that if attendees like the work DearMYRTLE is doing, a consideration can be made in the form of “Pay What You Want” via PayPal or credit card through PayPal.
- RootsMagic: I have received free copies of software on various occasions.
- Second Life: I am a dues-paying member of SecondLife.com, at this this site offering free and paid access to this virtual reality space. As the owner of the Just Genealogy area, I pay for the land (about $75 monthly) and advertising. I have created both meeting and display space for hosting genealogy meetings throughout the week. I do receive rental income from those who use cottages in Just Genealogy. Income just covers my expenses. I also have built on land in the LDS area known as the Family History Centre, where there are links to FamilySearch.org record collections. I have permission to host weekly meetings at the Centre.
- Speaking Engagements: From time to time, DearMYRTLE is invited to speak virtually (via computer). I received a speaker’s fee which varies depending on circumstances.
- WikiTree: I have received a complimentary access to WikiTree, and have experimented with the newly emerging WikiTree photo pedigrees.
- WorldVitalRecords: I have an affiliate relationship with this website and have been provided complimentary access to the site.